Sorrel Drink Recipe
This delicious and refreshing Sorrel Drink should be part of your Christmas or New Year's table. This recipe is quick and easy to make. Give it a try!
Servings: 12 glasses
a small knife
a large pot
- 1 pound fresh sorrel (roselle) or frozen
- 8 cups water
- 1 inch piece of ginger adjust to liking (you can use more if desired)
- 1⅓ cups brown sugar
The first thing we are going to do is remove the seeds. In one hand, you grab the sorrel and with the other the knife and cut the top until it comes off.
Once you are done with all of them, then wash the flowers with plenty of water, trying to remove any dirt they have. Now put it aside.
Cut a piece of ginger about 1” to 2” and peel it.
In the large pot, place the sorrel, ginger, and approximately 8 cups of water. Make sure it covers completely. Place over medium heat until the water boils. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.
Turn off the stove and let it cool a bit and then strain it, for about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, place the strainer, and with the spoon or a cup, strain the liquid. Repeat until you finish with everything you have in the pot.
Now, to sweeten it, start adding water to lighten the liquid. At the moment, it is like a concentrate with a somewhat strong flavor. Start by adding 1 cup of water, and taste it. For this amount, I used two and a half cups of water.Then proceed to sweeten to taste. It should be sweet but not like a syrup. You can use between 1 to 2 cups of sugar.
Refrigerate until cold. Serve and enjoy!
Brown sugar: You can use white sugar or a sweetener of your choice. Some people have used honey. I haven't personally tried it, but let me know how you like it if you try.
Storage: Once it’s cold, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for a week.
- What if you added more ginger, and it’s too spicy? You will have to add water to compensate for the taste. If you have more sorrel, you can make a little more infusion and add it to dilute it.
- You can double or reduce the recipe.
- You can make it ahead of time so you can refrigerate it.
- You can add wine to it for a delicious adult-only drink.
Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 111mg | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 108IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 1mg