Garlic Yuca mash, perfect side dish for your meals, made with few ingredients and easy to make, boil, mash, and enjoy. Plus it's gluten-free!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 ½ pound yuca peeled and chopped. It can be fresh or frozen
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pepper to taste
In a large pot, add water, yuca, garlic, and salt. Add enough water to cover the yuca—about 5 cups
Cook over medium heat for about 30-40 minutes or until tender. You can prick them with a knife, and if it goes in and out easily, it means they are ready. If they aren’t tender yet, cook for five more minutes.
After this, remove the yuca from the pot and place it in a large bowl to mash, taking advantage of the fact that it is still hot. Reserve some of the water for later.
Add butter, garlic powder, milk, and continue mashing until you get the desired texture. If you prefer a rustic mash, leave small pieces of yuca without mashing. For a creamier mash, add a little more of the cooking liquid (1 tablespoon) at a time and continue mashing.
Serve with your favorite food and taste.
Storage: Once cool, you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat: You can reheat in the microwave. If it's a bit dry, you can add a little extra water, and it's done before heating.
- Yuca: use fresh or frozen.
- Butter: replace it with ghee, margarine, or olive oil.
- Milk: use any milk you have on hand (evaporated, cow, almond, coconut, etc.) The higher the fat content, the creamier the result will be.
- Water: use part water and another part broth to add more flavor to the yuccas.
- Garlic: omit the garlic or replace it with onion powder.
- You can add cheese. Use sour cream or cream cheese and eliminate the milk. Or you can make a mashed yuca gratin. For this, you can use mozzarella cheese or Parmesan.
- You can add herbs, onion, or parsley.
- If you prefer a dairy-free option, use ghee and plant-based milk.
- You want to add another texture, crush pork rinds or bacon strips and place it on top!
- You can make a casserole with leftovers, meat, chicken or tuna, or yuca arepas and add cheese.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 424mg | Potassium: 325mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 29mg