What's Inside: Learn how to make your chili con carne spice mix from scratch and take your meals to the next level.
Measure once and use at least 4 times when cooking chili. Spice up your chili con carne recipe with this homemade chili spice mix. This will ensure that all your chilis have the same flavor.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
The best part of making your chili spice blend at home is using it for recipes like chili dogs, nachos, burritos, beans, etc.
The secret ingredient in this seasoning mix is unsweetened cocoa powder. Once you try it, you’ll never skip adding it.
This reminded me of when I went to Mexico and tasted a mole sauce that had chocolate in it. It was so rich and funny enough that it didn't taste chocolaty.
Now let's make our chili con carne spice mix!
❤️ Why Making Your Spice Mixes Are Better?
- It’s more affordable to buy individual spices and create your seasoning mix than to buy premade blends.
- One packet may cost 2 times what you may get with each spice jar.
- You can create your spice blend more than once.
You can customize it to your liking, spicier, smokier, etc. Make it your own, and enjoy your homemade chili seasoning that will spice up your meals.
You control what goes in
You know precisely what goes into each spice mix. Omit extra ingredients added as fillers. This spice mix contains no thickening agent like flour or masa harina. Let it simmer if you need to thicken your chili, or use a cornstarch slurry.
💡Tip: Add salt to the meat or produce before cooking instead of adding it to the spice mix. If you want a salt-free option, verify that your chili powder is salt-free.
To make this recipe, you’ll need the following:
- Chili powder, this one is my favorite, it has a mild flavor, and it's not hot.
- Cumin powder
- Smoked paprika adds a smoky flavor to your dish.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Unsweetened cocoa powder adds more flavor to your chili. Not a chocolate fan, but no worries, you won't taste it!
- Dried oregano
- Red pepper flakes can substitute it with cayenne pepper, about half the amount.
- Brown sugar will balance and amplify the chili flavors.
Why is there no salt in the mix?
I prefer salting the meat or produce separately. This gives better control over salting foods. And you are sure how much salt you are adding every time.
As for utensils, you’ll need a 4 oz mason jar or any smaller jar with a lid.
📝 How To Make Chili Spice Mix
Follow these simple steps to make your spice blend:
- You'll add each of the ingredients, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cocoa powder, dried oregano, and red pepper flakes, into the mason jar.
- Cover your mason jar and shake until all the ingredients are combined.
Super easy to make, right?
Storage: It can be stored in the same container for about 6 months. Ensure it’s kept in a dry place from direct sunlight to stay fresh longer. After this time, it’ll start losing its flavor.
💡Tip: Remember to label your spice jar with its content and when you made it. So you can use it before it starts losing its flavor and save your money.
🔖 Recipe Variations
- Not a fan of heat in foods? Omit the pepper flakes. Without it is a mild spicy flavor.
Ways To Use Chili Seasoning Mix
Add 1-2 tablespoons for each pound of meat or veggie, depending on your preferred spice.
The primary use is to cook chili con carne, add it when cooking, sauteing your veggies and meat to bloom the spices and give it a deeper flavor.
Use it as a dry rub: add it to food that will be grilled, like veggies or chicken.
Add it to the ground beef in nachos, tacos or burritos.
As wet marinade: add into a Ziploc bag your meat of preference. It can be chicken, pork, shrimp, some olive oil, and salt; let it marinate for about 15-30 minutes. Then are ready to be baked or pan-fried.
Add a few pinches to the french fries for a nice kick.
Jazz up your rice and canned beans.
You can use as much or as little as you prefer. A great starting point is between 1-2 Tablespoons of seasoning per 1 pound of meat or produce. If it’s your first time, always start will a smaller amount and adjust to your preference.
To adjust the heat, reduce or double the red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper depending on how much you enjoy the heat. This recipe calls for 1/8 teaspoon of chili flakes, half or double, for less or more heat.
Yes, you can double the recipe by doubling the amounts of each ingredient. You may need an 8 oz mason jar to store the spice mix.
Other Recipes You'll Love
If you tried this DIY chili con carne spice mix recipe or any other recipe at Nashi Food, don't forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! We love knowing about your cooking experience.
Chili Con Carne Spice Mix
- Add all the spice ingredients, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cocoa powder, dried oregano, and chili flakes in the 4oz. mason jar.
- Cover with the lid and shake until combined.