One-pot pumpkin chicken pasta, a great way to use a couple of ingredients in the same pot to have a delicious meal, perfect for lunch or dinner.
Hello, Happy New Year! Hope this 2019 brings a lot of great things for everyone. Today I’m sharing a one-pot pasta recipe. One-pot recipes are great for clean up since you only cook everything on the same pot. This recipe came up one day that I had a couple of cans of pumpkin puree at home and didn’t know what to do with them.
It is a great meal it has carbs, protein, and veggies — a great way to add more vegetables to your diet like a sauce. At the end of the post, I´m sharing some tips on replacements and other points to take in consideration when you are making this recipe.
What ingredients would you need to make the one-pot pumpkin chicken pasta?
To make this recipe, you would need the following ingredients:
- olive oil
- pound chicken breast, cubed
- an onion
- pumpkin puree
- low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- whole wheat pasta
- cream cheese
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- parsley for garnish
- seasonings: salt, black pepper, chili flakes, and nutmeg
How to make one-pot pumpkin chicken pasta? Step by Step
The first thing we need to start making this recipe is to prepare the ingredients. Slice our onion and mince the garlic. Next, proceed and cube our chicken breast in medium size cubes (like the ones in the picture).
Let’s start the cooking! Heat the dutch oven and add half of the olive oil. We are going to brown the chicken, do this in batches. For 2 minutes each side. Season with salt and pepper (photo 1). We don’t need it to be fully cooked, only not pink on the outside (photo 2). Once you finished browning all the chicken set it aside in a plate.
Add the remaining oil and saute the onions, for 2 minutes next add the garlic and saute for one more minute (photo 3). Incorporate the pumpkin puree (photo 4), the chicken stock. Season with the remaining salt, black pepper, chili flakes, and nutmeg (photo 5). Now, add the pasta and the chicken (photo 6). Let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes, covered.
Taste the pasta until it is al dente and the sauce has thickened a bit. Turn off the heat and add the cream cheese; it will give the sauce a creamier texture.
Now it is ready to be enjoyed! Your One-Pot Pumpkin Chicken Pasta must be served immediately and decorated with some parsley leaves and parmesan cheese, optional but recommended. ?
Tips on making the one-pot pumpkin chicken pasta
I will share some tips to make this dish if you are missing an ingredient at home:
- Vegan version: skip the chicken. Replace the chicken stock for vegetable stock. Add the half of the stock, and omit the cream cheese.
- I have made the recipe with 1 cup of white wine and the rest with chicken stock. The wine gives the dish another dimension. Make sure there is the same amount of liquid at the end. For example, 3 cups of stock + 1 cup of white wine making a total of 4 cups of liquid.
- If you don’t like the heat, you can omit the chili flakes. I recommend it since it won’t be that spicy. It will give a mild flavor.
- You can use brown pasta or any other type that you like but maybe would need to adjust the amount of water so it won’t be water down.
- You can replace the cream cheese with goat cheese.
- If you skip the chicken, it would be a great side dish. You can also add some bacon on top for decoration if you like.
- If you don’t have a can of pumpkin puree, and you have some butternut squash, you can cook it and make a puree from it and use it instead. You would need the same amount (1 cup).
- You can make only the sauce reducing the liquid to the half, total of 2 cups of liquid.
One-Pot Pumpkin Chicken Pasta, a simple and quick recipe try it out!
One-pot Pumpkin Chicken Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided (1 Tbsp for the chicken, one for the rest)
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided 3/4 tsp for the chicken, 1/2 tsp for the rest
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided in half
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock or broth
- 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta, I used linguine
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, (optional)
- 2 sprigs parsley for garnish
- Slice the onion, mince your garlic and set aside.
- Cube your chicken breast and set aside.
- Heat the dutch oven, and add 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Add half of the chicken to brown for approximately 2 minutes per side just until it is no longer pink. Season while cooking (adding salt and pepper). Repeat with the second batch of chicken. Set it aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the dutch oven. Saute the onions and the garlic for 5 minutes.
- Now add the pumpkin puree, chicken broth, and the seasonings: salt, pepper, chili flakes, and nutmeg, mix.
- Stir in the pasta and the chicken. Let it cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Check the pasta, once it is done turn off the heat. And mix in the cream cheese.
- Serve with some fresh chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
You May Also Like:
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave your comment below if you like it and what are your favorite one-pot pasta recipes. We love to see what you are preparing in your kitchens.
Comparte tu amor por la comida!