Mushroom Cauliflower Rice is a low carb alternative, and a great side dish ready in 15 minutes!
Since I started eating low carb dinners, it has been difficult finding new meal options. I’m one that usually gets bored quickly eating the same thing for a couple of days straight. When it was time to go grocery shopping, I managed to get a few deals in mushrooms. And I said to myself let’s try to use this ingredient differently. I usually use mushrooms to make a gravy for the chicken or something similar it has to be gravy.
This cauliflower rice recipe is easy and quick to make, a couple of ingredients, and you will have a buttery and meaty flavored side dish. When I returned from the supermarket, the idea just came up. For a couple of months, I have been experimenting with making different cauliflower “rice” flavors.
How to Prepare Mushroom Cauliflower Rice
You don’t need a lot of ingredients to make this delicious meal. You will need the following ingredients to prepare this recipe:
- Uncooked cauliflower rice
- Sliced mushrooms
- Garlic powder
If you haven’t tried cauliflower rice before, you should. Cauliflower rice is a great low carb alternative to rice. Great for people following a paleo diet too.
I recommend making it at home since it is fresher tasting, and cheaper too, you can see the tutorial in the post How to make cauliflower rice, where you will find a complete guide on how to prepare, cook, freeze and store your cauliflower rice, plus a simple recipe idea.
The utensils I used were a non-stick wok and a wooden spoon. To start making this recipe, heat up the wok to medium heat and add half of the butter to melt. Then add the sliced mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes. They will reduce in size.
Combine the onion with the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Season the mixture with half of the seasonings, and mix. Add the remaining butter and cauliflower rice. Sauté for 5 more minutes. Add the remaining seasonings and combine them. Garnish with some parsley and your mushroom cauliflower rice is ready to enjoy.
Tips and add-ins for your low carb Rice alternative
Ingredients that will amplify the mushroom cauliflower rice are bacon and parmesan cheese. The parmesan cheese will give the cauliflower rice a risotto-like texture, without making the cauliflower rice mushy or too soft.
You can pair your mushroom cauliflower rice with a roasted chicken breast, a steak with gravy or a pan-fried pork chop.
If you want to make it completely vegan, you can replace the butter with olive oil or coconut oil. This will remove the buttery flavor the mushrooms get, but it tastes just as good.
To store, use an airtight food container and keep it in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. It has lasted me five days without issues. Hope you give this a try!
Mushroom Cauliflower Rice
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower rice, uncooked, See How to make cauliflower rice if you want to make it yourself at home
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, optional
- 1 Wok
- 1 Woodern spoon
- Heat up the wok to medium heat and add half of the butter to melt. Then add the sliced mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes. They will reduce in size.
- Combine the onion with the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Season the mixture with half of the seasonings. 1/8 teaspoon each (salt, pepper, garlic powder)
- Add the remaining butter and the cauliflower rice. Sauté for 5 more minutes. Add the remaining seasonings and mix.
- Garnish with some parsley and your mushroom cauliflower rice is ready to be enjoyed.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave your comment below. We love to see what you are preparing in your kitchens.
Comparte tu amor por la comida!