You can enjoy these Homemade Sweet Corn Fritters as a breakfast with your loved ones, accompanied by coffee and white cheese.
Hello! Today I return with another typical Panamanian breakfast. As I mention in the post of the stewed sausages, I would share more Panamanian breakfasts. Corn is an ingredient widely used in Panamanian cuisine.
The main ingredient for making sweet corn fritters is fresh corn. It has a mild flavor, and it is used to make “bollos,” corn tortillas and our “torrejitas” or corn fritters.
I went to a cooking class a couple of months ago for typical Panamanian food, and they taught me how to make them. I liked how they turned out, and I do not remember having eaten them that way. They explained the technique of how to fry them and everything. Today I am going to share with you how you can make them at home.
What ingredients do we need to make the sweet corn fritters?
To make the recipe for sweet corn fritters, you will need the following ingredients:
- Four fresh raw corn cobs
- One medium egg
- baking powder
- oil for frying, it can be vegetable, but I like to fry mine in coconut oil gives it a unique flavor.
How to make sweet corn fritters? Step by step
First, we proceed to remove the corn kernels from the cob. To do this, we need a sharp knife. You should cut from the base to the tip. Do not throw it away; you can add it to a soup to flavor it. (photo 1)
Now we put all the ingredients except the oil to fry in the food processor (photo 2). We pulse four times, leaving a rustic mixture, as it appears in picture 3.
If the batter is a bit runny, you can add a little more flour and baking powder to improve the consistency. The mixture should be a bit sweet. Taste and adjust the sweetness to your liking.
In a frying pan heat the oil over medium heat. We measure the batter of the corn fritters with a metal spoon. Place the spoon with the mixture into the oil and let go of the spoon to avoid splashing the oil. Let them brown for a couple of minutes on each side.
Once they are golden, remove from the oil and place on a paper towel to remove the excess fat. Now they are ready to eat!
Can I store the mixture of the sweet corn fritters without frying?
The batter can be stored in an air-sealed container for three days in the refrigerator.
Sweet Corn Fritters
- 4 fresh corn cobs, (aprox 2 cups of corn kernels)
- 3.5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flour, + 3 tablespoons (optionals)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- oil for frying, , you can use vegetable oil or coconut oil
- Remove the kernels from the corn cob
- Add into a food processor all the ingredients except for the frying oil and pulse four times.
- Remove from the food processor, add it to a mixing bowl. If you have a runny batter, you can add more flour (1 tablespoon at a time) or baking powder to it.
- Heat your frying pan with the oil. Take a spoonful of the corn fritter batter. Put the spoon into the oil and let go of the mixture. Let it brown for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the oil and add put them on some paper towel to absorb the oil excess.
- Now they are ready to be enjoyed!
You may also like:
If you try this recipe, tell us your experience! Leave your comment below if you like it. Tell us, what is your favorite breakfast? We love seeing what they are preparing in your kitchens.
Comparte tu amor por la comida!