If you’re looking for a healthy and easy meal to enjoy with your loved ones, I’m sharing my roasted pumpkin soup recipe.
In Panama the rainy season just started, this is the perfect moment to always have a good soup to help us with the somewhat cold weather.
We would usually see pumpkin present in some traditional Panamanian soups, but this time wanted to do something not so traditional.
What you would need to make this soup?
A great tip before starting to prepare any recipe is gathering all the utensils and ingredients needed.
The utensils used for the recipe: a sharp knife, a baking sheet, a blender, and a medium ceramic pot. In case you don’t have a ceramic pot you can use a medium size saucepan.
In order to prepare this roasted pumpkin soup, we would need a few ingredients and its; preparation is quite simple.
Before we start we would need to chop into cubes the following ingredients:
- gala apple
- yellow onion
How to make roasted pumpkin soup? Step by step
Place all the cubes on a baking sheet and season with salt, garlic, black pepper, thyme, and olive oil.
Place baking sheet in the oven and roast the vegetables until soft or fork tender. At this point, your kitchen will smell awesome.
The roasting will enhance all the flavors through a process called caramelization of the sugar in the vegetables which gives them a brown color.
Once everything is cooked, we would transfer to a high-speed blender all the roasted vegetables.
Add the chicken broth and blend away until it is smooth. Then transfer the puree to a medium saucepan and simmer for a few minutes and voila!
Tip: You can also use an immersion blender to puree the soup, add all the veggies to the saucepan and the chicken broth and blend away.
The result a delicious and colorful roasted pumpkin soup, to garnish I used some Parmesan cheese and sunflower seeds that complement the pumpkin flavor.
Tips for making your soup
- When cutting the pumpkin, be careful when using a sharp knife.
- The pumpkin tends to cook a little faster when it is smaller, for this reason, it was better to chop it into cubes.
- Another way to tell if the pumpkin is ready, by simply pricking it with a fork and it should pass through easily.
- At the time of blending ingredients would be somewhat hot, you should blend in batches so that the blender doesn’t overflow.
- For a vegan option: substitute chicken broth, with vegetable broth, and you can omit the Parmesan cheese for garnish.
- This soup if dairy free, you can omit the Parmensan cheese listed as garnish.
Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- 2 pounds pumpkin, cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped into quarters, about 1 cup
- 1 medium gala apple, cubed, about 1 cup
- 1 small carrot, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 sprigs Fresh thyme, 1 sprig will be used for decoration
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste, I used sea salt, approximately 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- optional: sunflower seeds and parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place the cubes on a baking sheet, and add the olive oil, 2 sprigs of thyme, garlic powder, pepper and a little salt.
- Mix until all ingredients are covered in olive oil and other seasonings and roast for 25 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft and becomes a dark orange color.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer and blend all the roasted vegetables and the chicken broth in a blender
- Pour into a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes over low heat, rectify salt and pepper.
- Serve hot and garnish with thyme, sunflower seeds and Parmesan cheese.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave your comment or take a picture and add the hashtag #nashifood on Instagram. We love to see what you are preparing in your kitchens.
Comparte tu amor por la comida!